It's time for the Popehat Signal, where I seek pro-bono help for people targeted by bogus and potentially financially ruinous defamation suits.
I'm looking for pro bono counsel for a woman in state court in Northern California. For now, I will offer only a summary description. The woman's ex-boyfriend is about to name her in a defamation suit because she described how he treated her in a contemptible manner. It's a quintessential SLAPP suit, and — based on materials I can provide to you if you are a qualified attorney interested in the case — there's the potential for an extremely strong anti-SLAPP motion that will be devastating to the plaintiff (and his attorney, who has filed a SLAPP suit before).
The woman is employed at a nonprofit and — like most Americans — can't afford counsel to defend her. She can afford to cover costs, and in my opinion there is an unusually good chance of recovering fees through an anti-SLAPP motion. (In California, an attorney representing a client pro bono can get his or her reasonable fees paid upon winning an anti-SLAPP.) This is a fantastic one I would do myself if I could right now, but my dance card is full.
Please reach out to me at Ken at popehat dot com if you are interested.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017