It's time for the Popehat Signal, where I seek pro-bono help for people targeted by bogus and potentially financially ruinous defamation suits.
I'm looking for pro bono counsel for a woman in state court in Northern California. For now, I will offer only a summary description. The woman's ex-boyfriend is about to name her in a defamation suit because she described how he treated her in a contemptible manner. It's a quintessential SLAPP suit, and — based on materials I can provide to you if you are a qualified attorney interested in the case — there's the potential for an extremely strong anti-SLAPP motion that will be devastating to the plaintiff (and his attorney, who has filed a SLAPP suit before).
The woman is employed at a nonprofit and — like most Americans — can't afford counsel to defend her. She can afford to cover costs, and in my opinion there is an unusually good chance of recovering fees through an anti-SLAPP motion. (In California, an attorney representing a client pro bono can get his or her reasonable fees paid upon winning an anti-SLAPP.) This is a fantastic one I would do myself if I could right now, but my dance card is full.
Please reach out to me at Ken at popehat dot com if you are interested.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- The Proud Boy And The Sockpuppet - July 21st, 2017
- Ted Rall Is Incensed That Anti-SLAPP Laws Protect Everyone - July 18th, 2017
- The Popehat Signal: Anti-SLAPP Help Needed in California - July 14th, 2017
- Texas Attorney Jason L. Van Dyke: Fraudulent Buffoon, Violence-Threatening Online-Tough-Guy, Vexatious Litigant, Proud Bigot, And All Around Human Dumpster Fire - July 9th, 2017
- CNN, Doxing, And A Few Ways In Which We Are Full of Shit As A Political Culture - July 5th, 2017