I write this as someone who was willing to vote for Trump. This gives me great pause….
Donald Trump has said a lot of strange things — some funny, some creepy, but none scarier than what he said on Friday: that if he is elected president, he will "open up our libel laws" to make it easier to sue the media and "win lots of money." No matter what you may think about his other policy ideas, if he keeps this promise, we won't be able to effectively express dissent against anything else he might want to do. We can fight any bad policy if we have a robust First Amendment.
Marc Randazza is the national president of the First Amendment Lawyers Association
Last 5 posts by Randazza
- Randazza: The March for Science ... but was it? - April 23rd, 2017
- Randazza: Support Trump's Pledge to Let Churches Engage in Politics - February 3rd, 2017
- Randazza: Melania's Defamation Case (Half) Dismissed - February 3rd, 2017
- Randazza: Nevada's Anti-SLAPP Statute Survives Constitutional Challenge - February 2nd, 2017
- Fred's Birthday - January 30th, 2017