I write this as someone who was willing to vote for Trump. This gives me great pause….
Donald Trump has said a lot of strange things — some funny, some creepy, but none scarier than what he said on Friday: that if he is elected president, he will "open up our libel laws" to make it easier to sue the media and "win lots of money." No matter what you may think about his other policy ideas, if he keeps this promise, we won't be able to effectively express dissent against anything else he might want to do. We can fight any bad policy if we have a robust First Amendment.
Marc Randazza is the national president of the First Amendment Lawyers Association
Last 5 posts by Randazza
- Randazza: Public Masturbation as Protected Speech? - May 15th, 2017
- Randazza: 400,000 Reasons to be a Good Little Pet - May 9th, 2017
- Randazza: No Laughing Matter - May 8th, 2017
- Randazza: What is at Stake in the French Election - May 7th, 2017
- Randazza: I was on Infowars (and I liked it) - April 26th, 2017