LIKE A BOSS: I was all set to sue Jordan Rushie for stealing and making commercial use of my line. But then I got to the part where he attached a copy of the First Amendment to his response to a threat letter. Now I want to swipe that. Then we'll be even.
MY LORD, I HAVE A CUNNING PLAN: Lawyers representing Professor Michael Mann of hockey stick fame have written a threatening letter to the National Review based on a Mark Steyn post comparing Penn State's exoneration of Professor Mann with its inadequate supervision of Jerry Sandusky. Steyn, in turn, quotes Rand Simberg, a man with the rhetorical taste and subtlety of a thirteen-year-old girl making a YouTube video about the bitch who stole her boyfriend. Without commenting on the merits, this will be interesting to watch. Steyn doesn't yield to censors. This is not a prudent move on Professor Mann's part — unless his purpose is to use the courts to conduct a political, scientific, and cultural debate, something that is generally a poor use of the legal system.
IT'S STILL A STEP UP FROM BEING FORCED TO DRINK HEMLOCK: The Greek Olympic team has dumped triple jumper Paraskevi Papachristou for writing a stupid, rather incoherent, and offensive-to-many tweet about how Greek mosquitoes will enjoy feasting on the Africans visiting Greece. Greece has its own laws, and the team is a private entity, not the state, so this isn't a First Amendment issue. It's worth noting, though, that the more that the Olympics become a vehicle for monetizing the Olympic brand, the more that private entities like Olympic teams will be moved to axe athletes who speak in a manner unbecoming to a hired PR flack.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- The Proud Boy And The Sockpuppet - July 21st, 2017
- Ted Rall Is Incensed That Anti-SLAPP Laws Protect Everyone - July 18th, 2017
- The Popehat Signal: Anti-SLAPP Help Needed in California - July 14th, 2017
- Texas Attorney Jason L. Van Dyke: Fraudulent Buffoon, Violence-Threatening Online-Tough-Guy, Vexatious Litigant, Proud Bigot, And All Around Human Dumpster Fire - July 9th, 2017
- CNN, Doxing, And A Few Ways In Which We Are Full of Shit As A Political Culture - July 5th, 2017