We name and shame lawyers here.
Some of them we name and shame because they act badly in various public arenas. Many of those are probably irredeemable.
Others we name and shame because of their marketing techniques — because they market by comment spam or other detestable tactics, or because they fail to supervise marketeers who do so on their behalf. Those people are generally redeemable. When we do so, we generally make this offer:
By the way, I'll make [lawyer] and his law firm the following offer: I will scrub this post of data identifying him and his firm on two conditions. First condition, he must make a sincere apology for outsourcing his reputation and ethics (or, if he did this deliberately himself, a sincere apology to the English language and to defendants everywhere). Second condition, he must provide emails or other documentation identifying the marketeer he hired who produced the comment spam and proving their responsibility for this, so that we can alter the post to call them out by name. Because lawyers who hire bad marketeers have bad judgment, but bad marketeers are vermin, and ought to be stomped.
This works. For an example of it working, see this post by Eric Turkewitz. As originally drafted, it named and shamed a law firm that had scraped an entire post by him — reprinted it shamelessly on its own website. But the firm named its marketeer, and Turkewitz named the marketeer and removed the unflattering references to the firm. The law firm will hopefully learn to supervise its marketeers, and the marketeers — well, there's not much hope for them, frankly.
So. Read Turkewitz' post. Beware of marketeers like "The U Agency." And remember that when you outsource marketing, you outsource your reputation and ethics.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- The Proud Boy And The Sockpuppet - July 21st, 2017
- Ted Rall Is Incensed That Anti-SLAPP Laws Protect Everyone - July 18th, 2017
- The Popehat Signal: Anti-SLAPP Help Needed in California - July 14th, 2017
- Texas Attorney Jason L. Van Dyke: Fraudulent Buffoon, Violence-Threatening Online-Tough-Guy, Vexatious Litigant, Proud Bigot, And All Around Human Dumpster Fire - July 9th, 2017
- CNN, Doxing, And A Few Ways In Which We Are Full of Shit As A Political Culture - July 5th, 2017