Multiple sources are reporting that federal prosecutors will file charges against John Edwards on Friday, June 3, 2011, as a result of their investigation into gifts Edwards allegedly used to conceal his mistress and child.
If Edwards is being charged Friday, it's likely either an indictment (if they haven't yet negotiated a plea) or an information (if they've signed a plea agreement and a waiver of indictment.) More when it happens. A plea seems like a strong possibility. Edwards doesn't want a public trial, and the Department of Justice's Public Integrity Section doesn't want to sift through millions of pages of documents deciding which exculpatory evidence to withhold, which witnesses should be sent out of state to make them unavailable to the defense, which lies to tell the court, and which witnesses should sleep with which FBI agents.
Meanwhile, I started a EdwardsProbationConditions hashtag on Twitter.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017