Multiple sources are reporting that federal prosecutors will file charges against John Edwards on Friday, June 3, 2011, as a result of their investigation into gifts Edwards allegedly used to conceal his mistress and child.
If Edwards is being charged Friday, it's likely either an indictment (if they haven't yet negotiated a plea) or an information (if they've signed a plea agreement and a waiver of indictment.) More when it happens. A plea seems like a strong possibility. Edwards doesn't want a public trial, and the Department of Justice's Public Integrity Section doesn't want to sift through millions of pages of documents deciding which exculpatory evidence to withhold, which witnesses should be sent out of state to make them unavailable to the defense, which lies to tell the court, and which witnesses should sleep with which FBI agents.
Meanwhile, I started a EdwardsProbationConditions hashtag on Twitter.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- No, Trump Didn't Argue That Protesters Have No Right To Protest or Violated His Rights - April 24th, 2017
- A Pony A Day Keeps the Doctor Away - April 20th, 2017
- Alex Jones And The Rule of Goats - April 19th, 2017
- The Seductive Appeal of the "Nazi Exception" - April 18th, 2017
- The Road to Popehat: Spring Edition - April 17th, 2017