If you talk to me, and I agree to look at the materials from your case over the weekend and decide whether I might take it on, and you immediately begin sending argumentative emails to the attorneys on the other side and cc'ing me on them, then I'm not going to take your case. I'm not going to take your case if you now say you'll get money from your parents to pay, I'm not going to take your case if you apologize and promise not to do it any more, I'm not going to take your case even if the papers you sent me suggest you have a good case. If you can't wait over the weekend without picking arguments with the attorneys on the other side (even though you are still represented by another counsel, you dumbass), and can't resist cc'ing me to threaten the other side in juvenile fashion with the prospect attorney you MIGHT hire, then you are an irretrievably twitchy motherfucker. I have learned by bitter experience that twitchy clients are a money-losing proposition and tend to consume ten times the time and stress and grey hairs as other clients. Life's too short. I don't make a BIGLAW salary any more, but I also don't have to take cases I don't want to take. So, like I just told you on the phone: calm down, shut up, and listen to your lawyer — but your lawyer won't be me.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- About Clark Being "Purged" From Popehat - May 24th, 2017
- The Dubious "Anthony Weiner's Accuser Was Actually Over 16" Story, And Why I'm Very Skeptical - May 22nd, 2017
- Lawsplainer: The Remarkable Anthony Weiner Guilty Plea - May 19th, 2017
- The Elaborate Pantomime of The Federal Guilty Plea - May 8th, 2017
- A Disturbing In-Flight Experience - May 1st, 2017