Remember Senator John Ensign? You know, the vigorous moral scold who was cheating on his wife with the wife of a good friend and employee? The guy whose parents paid off the family of the woman he had an affair with?
Republican Sen. John Ensign of Nevada, who is under an ethics investigation by the Senate, announced Thursday that he will resign his seat on May 3.
In the longer term it's unlikely to impact the balance of the Senate: the Republican governor will probably appoint the Republican who was going to run for the seat in 2012, improving his chances.
Meanwhile, watch for nauseating hand-wringing about how Ensign is the victim here.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Free Speech Triumphant Or Free Speech In Retreat? - June 21st, 2017
- The Power To Generate Crimes Rather Than Merely Investigate Them - June 19th, 2017
- Free Speech, The Goose, And The Gander - June 17th, 2017
- Free Speech Tropes In The LA Times - June 8th, 2017
- I write letters - June 1st, 2017