Your government has recently taken steps to make you safer.
Specifically, they have prevented a dangerous man from flying on the same planes as you and your family.
The man is a member of a famous militant organization, exquisitely trained to kill. He's part of a group riven by sectarian discord. And he's had close communications with an imam watched by the FBI.
The man is Abe Mashal. He's a 31-year-old dog trainer. He's an honorably discharged United States Marine.
And he's on the no-fly list because he wrote an email to an imam asking questions about raising children in an interfaith household. He's Muslim; his wife is Christian. And it turns out the FBI has been watching that imam.
FBI agents questioned him at Midway Airport, then at his home. Finally, he was summoned to a hotel in Schaumburg, where more FBI agents told him he’d been placed on the no-fly list because of an e-mail he had sent to an imam — a Muslim cleric — whom they’d been watching.
Mashal said he had sought the imam’s advice about raising children in a mixed-religion household. Mashal is Muslim; his wife is Christian.
He said the agents offered to get him off the list — if he would become an undercover informant at mosques. He refused and said he feels he was being blackmailed.
He hasn't been able to fly since last April.
I feel safer. Don't you? Sure, this looks like a Marine — someone who served this country — asking questions about raising his children with his Christian wife. But he asked an imam. Booga booga booga! Plus, the FBI is watching the imam. I'm sure they have perfectly good cause. Law enforcement never surveils people for the wrong reasons.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Ted Rall Is Incensed That Anti-SLAPP Laws Protect Everyone - July 18th, 2017
- The Popehat Signal: Anti-SLAPP Help Needed in California - July 14th, 2017
- Texas Attorney Jason L. Van Dyke: Fraudulent Buffoon, Violence-Threatening Online-Tough-Guy, Vexatious Litigant, Proud Bigot, And All Around Human Dumpster Fire - July 9th, 2017
- CNN, Doxing, And A Few Ways In Which We Are Full of Shit As A Political Culture - July 5th, 2017
- How the Southern Poverty Law Center Enraged Nominal Conservatives Into Betraying Free Speech Values - June 29th, 2017