In reviewing recent events in the detention and prosecutor of accused leaker Bradley Manning, I have to ask: in the wake of the legislative repeal of Don't Ask/Don't Tell, are some Marines simply more open about the fact that they enjoy staring at humiliated naked young men held under their power? If so, aren't there web sites for that they could use?
I suppose their are other explanations for why Manning, captive in a Marine brig, is being stripped naked every night and required to line up at attention naked every morning. Maybe they think that he's going to kill himself with his underwear (but not, somehow, with his blankets). That would be sickening; if Manning has become suicidal, it's likely because of the nature of his treatment — his captors would therefore be using the natural and probable consequences of their inhumanity to sanction further inhumanity. Or perhaps it's deliberate "enhanced interrogation techniques" designed to degrade him and drive him crazy, part of a far larger campaign to do so. Or maybe the Marines realize that President Obama may have kept his promise about ditching DADT, but he has no interest whatsoever in keeping his high-minded promises to end torture and reverse the trend of Gitmo-style treatment of captives. Rather, out of calculation or sordid indifference, he's decided to continue the trend.
I think, all in all, I'd rather believe the pervert-jailers-like-looking-at-naked-men thing.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017