No game this week, instead a fascinating (and depressing) historical record. The Officer Down Memorial page is a searchable database of police officer deaths. You can see stats by State, Year and means of death. For instance, the year I was born, 244 police officers died. 14o from gunfire, 25 from automobile accidents and 1 by electrocution (!).
The earliest recorded loss is Constable Darius Quimby in New York in 1791. Shockingly, he was killed by gunfire.
Despite the somewhat macabre subject matter, I find this database fascinating.
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010