Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, seeking to curry favor with his core demographic of the angry, the ignorant, and the deranged, has taken a stand on a key international issue: he hates Paul the World-Cup-prophesying octopus.
However, the Iranian president accused the octopus of spreading "western propaganda and superstition." Paul was mentioned by Mr Ahmadinejad on various occasions during a speech in Tehran at the weekend.
"Those who believe in this type of thing cannot be the leaders of the global nations that aspire, like Iran, to human perfection, basing themselves in the love of all sacred values," he said.
Anyway, I think Ahmadinejad has hit on a great strategy here: leaders can pander by bashing the fictional, the buffoonish, and the ridiculous. Hence:
David Cameron should be "accidentally" caught on tape saying how much he despises Voldemort;
Fidel Castro can denounce that Geico gecko as the habringer of merciless capitalism;
Hugo Chavez can call for the capture and People's Trial of Yosemite Sam;
Obama can criticize Andrew Breitbart.
Any other ideas for good targets?
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017