It's because large-L Libertarian officialdom promotes people who commit deviant acts against logic, like Wayne Allyn Root, who boasts a series of Official Libertarian creds and opens his rant with this:
I was Barack Obama’s college classmate at Columbia University, Class of ’83. We were both Pre Law and Political Science majors (although strangely, I never met him, saw him, or even heard of him). That gives me a unique understanding of his mindset. You see virtually every classmate I ever got to know at Columbia was either obviously or openly a radical socialist or marxist.
[Emphasis added, hilarity in original.]
Laugh at Root so you won't cry that official Libertarianism is choked with bombastic twits like him. Laugh at his utter lack of self-awareness:
But there’s something else you need to know about my classmates at Columbia- the dysfunctional rage and hatred they harbor towards anyone that disagrees with them.
Try not to cry that the national discourse is poisoned by people like Root. Try not to cry that the prominence of Fox-guest Root and his ilk marginalize libertarian ideas. Try not to cry that our choices in public discourse too often seem to be bomb-throwing frothers on the Right or bomb-throwing frothers on the Left, with no outlet for criticizing specific policies of public figures without making them out to be cartoonish demons.
Via Doug Mataconis.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017