Today Adam Kissel at the FIRE supplements and expands upon a column by Dan Reimold over at the Huffington Post. Despite the fact that it is at the Huffington Post, Reimold's column does not involve using crystals blessed by Jenny McCarthy to prevent antibiotics from giving your children autism, and is quite worthwhile. It details the regrettable academic abuses of free speech principles in the past year, including both overt censorship of campus media by college officials and speech-suppressing thuggery (usually in the form of stealing newspapers with disfavored content) by student groups. Adam's piece is link-rich and will send you to all the details, plus additional FIRE cases.
The censorious behavior of both college officials and college students is breathtaking. Don't read it unless you are in the mood to be outraged.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017