The venerable Law and Order — a franchise that's old enough to vote, and will soon be old enough to drink or to move back in with its parents — is spawning yet another spin-off, this time set in Los Angeles. This seems paradoxical — it's a move unimaginative to such an extent that it clearly required imagination. It's not even the most recent law enforcement spinoff to be set in my fair city — the lethargic NCIS Los Angeles (which puts me to sleep, and is tolerable only when Linda Hunt is onscreen mugging) holds that honor.
It will be interesting to see if Dick Wolf and his team break at all from their successful formula. For instance, not that I think NBC would ever air it, but I'd love to see a very dark Shield-style Law and Order featuring cops like Nino, David, and Rafael. But such stuff is probably better off on cable.
Meanwhile, if you're really jonesing for a top-notch cop show set in Los Angeles, Southland is exceptionally good, and may even (I hope) survive another season.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017