I've written before about one of the most annoying aspects of blogging: I routinely put substantial thought and effort into elaborate posts on serious subjects, only to find that the resulting post gets no comments or links; by contrast, casual throw-away posts on frivolous subjects that took three minutes to write get many comments and big hits. Nearly every blogger I've talked to has experienced the same phenomenon.
So, inspired by the consistently excellent Blawg Review, I've decided to do something about it. Most blog reviews are dedicated to posts that other people thought were great. The Dance of the Wallflowers will be a blog carnival devoted to the blog posts that the bloggers themselves viewed as their beloved but ignored children.
Here's how it's going to work:
1. Popehat will host the first one. I'm scheduling it tentatively for May 1. The review will appear here, and I'll write the frame for the posts.
2. This first time, I'll manage it as well. Interested bloggers should send me a link to no more than three of their posts in the last year that (1) they thought were noteworthy and particularly well-written or researched, but (2) didn't get much attention.
3. I'll create a post on our forum listing the candidates. Interested participants can then vote in the forum or in an email to me which of the posts they like the best.
4. Based on those votes, I'll create a post showcasing the best previously ignored posts by the participants. [Future hosts might want to set a theme for a particular Dance. I figure we might do this once a quarter or so.]
What kind of blogs would I like to see participate? Well, I suspect that our core constituency will be the blogs you see in the Blawg Review and that we frequently link to — blogs that feature legal and political issues, if not blogs solely devoted to them. But I see this as an opportunity to learn about blogs I haven't followed before, too. So if you're a blogger, and you're interested, drop a comment here, or send me an email at ken at popehat dot com.
Suggestions about how to run the Dance of the Wallflowers are welcome.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017