On mornings when the weather looks poor, instead of biking to work, I casual carpool. It really is a great thing. Drivers pick up willing riders and everybody gets a free ride across the Bay Bridge in the carpool lane. It's a win-win. The driver doesn't pay toll, and gets to use the carpool lane, and the riders get dropped off in downtown SF for free.
Of course, it can lead to strange moments – I've had rides where the couple in the front listened enthusiastically to scary religious sermons (good old fire & brimstone) or one notable ride where an old woman in the front seat threw up, and the driver continued on as if nothing happened – but for the most part it's great.
This morning, I got in the car, and the very first thing the nice lady driving said was "sorry about the burning smell, I managed to burn dinner last night." First off, I didn't really notice a burning smell. Secondly, why would it be in the car? Was she grilling dinner on her engine? I am still a little sad I didn't ask any follow up questions.
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010