I'm not big on mainstream conservative movements, because for the most part they seem to be made up of apologists for profligacy (so long as it is committed by Republicans), suckers-up to executive power (so long as it is Republican executive power), and shameful disdainers of civil liberties. Culturally conservative authoritarians, in other words.
On occasion, though, something happens to make me think that I am not as completely alienated from the political mainstream as I thought. Consider, for example, this thoroughly viscerally satisfying moment at CPAC when Ryan Sorba, blustering and jabbering and pathetically threatening, is jeered off the stage for indulging in a small-tent anti-gay rant. Don't let the door hit ya where you're afraid the gays will git ya, Ryan.
Edit: the sequel — via Andrew Sullivan, a blogger describes his encounter with Sorba. More bluster and moronism.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017