The Lt. Governor of South Carolina (and a strong candidate to be Governor) Andre Bauer had some unfortunate things to say about government assistance for the poor. He brought up a folksy old tale his grandmother told him:
"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed! You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that."
Lovely. Always good to equate poor people with stray animals. Heaven forbid we give a person an ample food supply. And, on cue, Bauer has gone with the non-apology apology:
"Do I wish I'd used a different metaphor? Of course I do," the 40-year-old said. "I didn't intend to offend anyone."
Of course you didn't Andre, of course you didn't. So, in which flattering way were you going to equate poor people with animals? Oh, by the way, the cherry on top of this story? Lt. Governor Bauer was a recipient of welfare and free lunches when he was a child. Maybe granny hated him? Or at least didn't want him to breed…
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010