Years ago, Trent Lott made an incredibly stupid remark at a celebration for Strom Thurmond that was (fairly and accurately) considered racist. A few days ago, a book reported similarly racist comments by Harry Reid. Lott, who apologized, was pretty much forced to resign (mainly from pressure from Republicans), first from Senate leadership and then from the Senate itself. Reid, has apologized to Obama, and the Democrats, mindful of their narrow margin and waning power, show no signs of calling on Reid to resign.
Harold Ford, chair of the Democratic Leadership Council, said that he thought Reid had "no racial animus." So, it's ok to make racist comments as long as they are well intentioned? I'll admit, the statement by Barbara Reed (bay area legislator who is pretty independent and a definite straight shooter) gives me some pause, but the bottom line is if Lott was forced to resign then Reid should as well.
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010