Terry O'Neill, the head of the National Organization for Women (a pretty redoubtable organization in my mind) has criticized the President's all male basketball games as indicating a "boys club" atmosphere in the White House. Now, I'm always ready to criticize Obama for his sizzle over substance, but in this particular case, I just don't see it.
It would be one thing if there were women asking to get in on the game and they were refused. That would be bad. Should Obama invite some women to play? Yeah, that would be a great idea (and the linked article mentions HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius as a possible candidate). But does the absence of women from the game indicate an actively sexist President? I don't think so.
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010