One of the most difficult questions that any couple must face is this — if you like the chick flick your wife dragged you to, or the guy flick your husband dragged you to, do you still earn guy flick/chick flick points, redeemable later to force your own choice of movie?
Previously Katrina's firm answer has been yes. She liked Star Trek very much this summer, but remained resolute that it was a guy flick and therefore earned her points she could spend later to drag me to some movie with relationships and no explosions whatsoever.
She may reconsider after tonight, because I liked Julie & Julia very much, and she probably doesn't want me to earn chick flick points for having seen it.
It's unquestionably a chick flick. But it's well written and witty throughout, and the performances are uniformly quite good — particularly Meryl Streep (whose imitation is uncanny) and Stanley Tucci. The plot, while "high concept," is not contrived, and the two story threads are woven skillfully. And the food looks delicious.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017