Jean Michel Cousteau recently traveled with a group called Project Kaisei to the North Pacific Gyre, the huge swirling morass of trash floating in the Pacific. They brought back pictures and samples of the stuff there. It's pretty horrifying stuff. The worst part are actually the small particles that get ingested by marine life and cause irreparable damage.
Here's a lovely sample of what they brought back. This jar shows the massive amount of particles big and small floating there. The money quote from all this: "marine debris is the new man-made epidemic."
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010