Oh Canada. Home of all so many delightfully goofy things. And yet, it's somehow comforting to know that their politics can be just as scummy as ours. The Prime Minister, Steven Harper, has previously taken a hardline stance against the patronage appointment of Senators in Canada. Seems some wags refer to being appointed to Congress (only one Province even has Senatorial elections) as "cash for life." So, now Harper appoints a bunch of party cronies and people he likes to the Senate.
There's nothing worse than people remembering your past statements. Tres inconvenient!
By the way, one of Harper's appointments bears special mention. ex NHL coach Jacques Demers is now a proud Senator. You may remember (although it's hockey so probably not..) that M. Demers admitted in his own biography (presumably written by someone else) that he is "functionally illiterate."I think I'll just end by letting you insert your own joke here. Consider it my Friday gift to you.
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010