We are advertising a job. We get a lot of resumes. I am struck by two things: the number of people who foolishly do not highlight non-profit or database work (despite the fact that we are a non-profit looking for a database person) and the staggering level of poor writing and proofreading in cover letters.
I was recently looking for a job. I worked hard on each cover letter I sent out, to ensure it was topical and correct. Never would I have sent out a letter that first lauded my attention to detail, and then (in the very next sentence!) said how much I would like to work at <company that isn't us>. Sigh. I weep for our future.
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010