I have spent more of this afternoon than I care to admit going through old clips of NBA stuff on Youtube. It's easy to forget, given the controlled image of hoops today, how rough and tumble the NBA was even in the 80s. I was looking for old footage of the Celtics, and came across this great clip. Larry Bird & Bill Laimbeer go at it pretty good. The best part is when a pissed off Bird fires the ball off Laimbeer's head after the fight had been broken up. Amazingly, neither player was ejected. Imagine that happening in today's game!
Of course, the Celtics always seemed to have a little something extra for Laimbeer. I'm not ashamed to admit that I really enjoy how he crumples after that shot.
In some ways, the wide open play of the current era is great to watch, but there was something about those 80s teams, clawing and fighting for anything they could that really spoke to me. Also watching those clips you can see how different the game is today. Much more one on one "let me take my man off the dribble" as opposed to the beautiful passing and motion of the great 80s teams. I definitely miss that. Yes, it was a different time…
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010