Some people save lives. Some people succor the weak. Some people defend the downtrodden. All of these people bring goodness and light into the world.
And then there's the people who bring happiness into the world by being entertaining, by which I mean "a big sack of crazy." Here I'm thinking of our old pal and frequent blogging subject Jack Thompson.
Thompson, as our readers (and gamers, and people fond of Fox News) know, is a disbarred lawyer who has spent the last ten years freaking out at judges over video games. Prior to video games, he spent a career freaking out about rap music and hating Janet Reno for the wrong reasons.
What's new with Jacko, you ask? Well, there are still people who are freaked out about video games, and still people who like watching train wrecks. So Jack still gets invites to speak and columns and such. And recently he agreed to appear at a gaming convention in Texas and debate a gamer/lawyer named Mark Menthenitis. And then came more crazy.
* he objected to a one- or two-line introduction ("I have never been introduced with 1 or 2 sentences. Nobody can be introduced in that fashion…")
* he objected to a user-created parody video posted (and since removed) on the [gaming convention] site; Thompson may have believed the video, "Questions Not to Ask Jack Thompson" at SGC," was official [gaming convention] content
So now maybe it's on again. Or maybe not. Right now apparently he's pissed about another post about him. And it's not clear if anyone can agree on an appropriate number of sentences to introduce what Jack Thompson is all about, or if the parties can agree upon an introduction that is accurate without using terms that Jack won't like ("Thorazine" "vexatious" "otherworldly"). There's certainly no way that any group of gamers is going to refrain from making fun of him. So it may remain uncertain, right up to the moment of the debate, right up to the moment of any future debates, whether or not Jack will be there. Jack Thompson is the Schrodinger's Cat of crazy — you can tell where he is, or what he'll be doing, but never both at once.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017