Writer and director Craig Mazin is a genuinely funny guy, on paper and in person. I've suffered through a number of kiddie parties and similar events with him. I've managed to overcome my resentment of the fact that he has some sort of deal with his wife where if he doesn't want to go to a social event, he doesn't have to go. That shit's not fair, man.
I've talked before about Craig's blog The Artful Writer, which has lots of inside-baseball stuff about Hollywood, as well as good writing about the craft of writing. Today I enjoyed his recent piece on the up-and-down cycle of the movie genre of spoofs, in which he has worked. That genre hit its peak with Airplane! and its nadir with the recent Meet the Spartans, which I recently encountered on cable and from which I was unable to avert my sickly fascinated gaze.
It's a good read. Check it out.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- On Punching Nazis - January 21st, 2017
- How To Read News Like A Search Warrant Application - January 19th, 2017
- The Latest Defamation Case Against Donald Trump, and the "Trump Defense" - January 18th, 2017
- The Selma March In Some Rare Photos, And The Obligation To Speak - January 16th, 2017
- "Clock Boy" Gets His Clock Cleaned with Texas' Anti-SLAPP Statute - January 11th, 2017