I'm on a half-hour phone call with a deputy U.S. Marshal right now. I've tried to writ this guy back to court so he can get his new trial in light of the court granting my motion to vacate his conviction and sentence. This Deputy left me a message saying that I'm an idiot because he's already been paroled to another state. I called back to explain to the deputy that this is unlikely because (a) he was sentenced to life, (b) it's a guidelines sentence, so no parole, and (c) he's never been to that particular state.
The Deputy's verbatim response: "SHUT the fuck UP!"
She's now holding the phone with me on the line in one hand, and with the other hand yelling into a second phone at somebody at the Bureau of Prisons. I'm learning new words. A recent one involved combining the word "stain" with a word referring to an act which should not, if performed reasonably carefully, yield a stain. Every now and then I as a polite question to assure she is not yelling at me. She very sweetly tells me no.
I love this job.
Edit: Okay, they found him. They were looking in the state system rather than the federal system. But now they are worried because they don't know how to fly him here from there. It's a two-hour drive.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Scam, Chapter 15: The Wheels, They Grind - August 10th, 2017