Four years ago, the Ku Klux Klan won the right to participate in the Missouri Adopt-a-Highway program, prevailing in a Skokie-like First Amendment case. Good for them; it shows that our system is robust and willing to protect the right to hold even the most execrable opinions.
Following in their footsteps, the "National Socialist Movement – Springfield Unit" adopted a stretch of highway this past January. Instead of engaging in a futile court battle, Springfield chose to fight fire with fire.
The NSM-SU is now responsible for a stretch of road on the Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel Memorial Highway.
The name change was passed by the lejewslature, then reported in the jewspaper. Can an 'umble Nazi get any respect in this town?
Last 5 posts by Charles
- If You Watch the Tape, You'll Still See What You Want To - September 29th, 2015
- On Dying - April 6th, 2014
- Not All Layers of An Onion Are Equally Worth Peeling Back - February 26th, 2013
- Did someone mention consistency? - February 5th, 2013
- Is That A Mote In Your Dog's Eye? - April 17th, 2012