So, let me get my talking points straight here. I'm supposed to despise Joe Lieberman because he jumped parties to avoid a tough primary challenge, but be ecstatic that Arlen Specter did the same thing? Hmm. I have trouble with that. For my money, these moves are exactly the same. Although, at least Specter had the decency to actually make the full change, and not Lieberman's half-assed Independent move.
I know that Specter has been more and more frustrated with the Republicans as they veer ever Jesus-ward (and, to be fair, the feeling is heartily mutual. Just ask Rick Santorum) and that he has voted with Democrats some of the time, but to look at this move as anything other than a cynical grasp at the Obama bandwagon to retain his Senate seat is false.
I despise Joe Lieberman for his move, I must do the same for Arlen Specter (although, I will accept the super majority. Thanks!)
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010