The scene: Africa. Not the real Africa, but the thoroughly Disnified Africa of Disney Animal Kingdom, with people selling squirt-bottle fans instead of hacking each other to death with machetes. Right now the fans aren't selling. We're crammed under the leaky thatched roof of a restaurant watching the sheets of rain, a welcome change from the hail. Hordes of people are clad in lengths of eight-dollar Mickey-themed clear plastic, ponchos with indifferently placed head-holes that stink of free polymers and disappointment. The Florida sky is the color of an angry bruise and the palm trees are bending improbably far in the sudden wind. Children dance from foot to foot, and parents stare grimly into the rain, weighing a day out and about in a lightening storm against the prospect of being cooped up in a slightly musty hotel room with the kids.
It's the happiest place on Earth!
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Scam, Chapter 15: The Wheels, They Grind - August 10th, 2017