I was lucky enough to attend a house party put on by the SF Browncoats (Firefly fans, not fascists) that featured a very intimate concert by Marian Call. To sum up Marian in one sentence, I might go with: Definitely the best singer/songwriter playing the typewriter and the ashes of her dead cat going today!
Marian is incredibly talented, very funny and a geek through and through. She has songs dedicated to/ inspired by Firefly, BSG and other assorted things loved by the geeknescentia. And yes, as I mentioned above she does use the typewriter as a percussion instrument (and it works great!) and Zippy her departed cat as a shaker (as she says, "It's much less awkward once you meet him.")
I liked the show so much I bought her debut CD Vanilla there and then ordered her other album (which is all geek music) online. I think she's something folks would like, and I highly recommend her work. She's heading down to Southern California now, for those of you in the area. Check her out!
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010