The job search is in full swing, and I am interviewing quite seriously with a great little non-profit in the City. So that's good. But, I wanted to give a little scene from a job that I didn't get.
I was interviewing with a woman at a conservation organization. The interview was going well, and had a nice light tone. It led to this banter:
Interviewer: So, we are going to give you a little skill test. See what that Bennington education is good for. *laughs*
Me: Well, I was a theatre major. And, I don't really know what a semi-colon actually does.
Interviewer (suddenly quite serious): Oh, the semi-colon is very important.
So, I realize that the joke was probably a bad idea, but still.. How was I to know that semi-colon's killed her grandfather or something? It was just so tonally dissonant from the rest of the interview. I almost laughed when she said it. Needless to say, I did not get the job.
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010