Meg Whitman, former EBay CEO, is polishing her fiscally conservative creds in her quest for the Republican nomination for California governor, a thankless position currently being botched in spectacular summer-blockbuster fashion by a B-movie actor. Should we conclude that EBay is a fine example of modern free-market commerce? Not exactly. In fact, it turns out that EBay, both now and when run by Whitman, doesn't believe in the free market. They won't let you sell whatever you want! Wired has the pinko-commie-liberal-sympathizer examples, and its commenters have more.
EBay yanked the auction because human trafficking is illegal.
Fascists. It also turns out they won't let you sell socially constructed sexual statuses like virginity, dead bodies, Pluto (the planet) (though they probably wouldn't let you sell Pluto the dog either, as he's disturbingly human), intangible items like souls, Jarts, and Michael Phelps' bong.
What does EBay have against capitalism?
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017