The Big Download Blog reports that Stardock, justifiably famed for the excellent Galactic Civilizations series, is buying up classic game licenses in order to produce new installments in beloved game series. Stardock already has one leg up on this process with its Elemental: War of Magic, reputed to be a reboot of classic Simtex/Microprose favorite Master of Magic (which is in my top-ten-of-all-time games list). Big Download Blog reports that Stardock has bought the rights to makea new Master of Orion title, and is working on an crpg in the style of Baldur's Gate.
This is great news for classic gameplay fans. Master of Orion II is also in my all-time top ten; but Master of Orion III was so impenetrable and unpleasant that it actually gave me anxiety nightmares. That seemed to spell the doom of the series. Based on GalCiv II, Stardock seems to have the chops to revive the brand in a big way. (Note to Stardock: an option for turn-based tactical combat, please. One of my favorite features of MOO II — like MoM and Space Empires IV — was complex tactical combat heavily influenced by unit design and management decisions; that tactical combat option was dumbed down, real-timed, or otherwise de-nutted for "broader appeal" in sequels.)
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Scam, Chapter 15: The Wheels, They Grind - August 10th, 2017