My appetite for 3-D entertainment was lost temporarily but conclusively after watching Wolf Blitzer get disturbingly overstimulated with his new and embarrassingly silly hologram toy on election night. Thanks, CNN, for showing how serious you and the election are by presenting your viewers with an awkwardly immobile and flickery image of Will.i.am when the rest of us are just waiting to see what the fuck Ohio is going to do this year.
But my sullied appetite has been re-whetted. Via Blog of War, check this tremendously cool video of a prototype interactive 3D display system.
The system works by projecting high-speed video onto a rapidly spinning mirror. As the mirror turns, it reflects a different and accurate image to each potential viewer. Our rendering algorithm can recreate both virtual and real scenes with correct occlusion, horizontal and vertical perspective, and shading.
When this comes out I may never leave the couch again.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Scam, Chapter 15: The Wheels, They Grind - August 10th, 2017