Today's unintentional comedy comes from Nancy Pelosi who was asked about the potential dominance of the Democratic Party in Washington after the election. Naturally, her sense of fair play and sharing made her aghast at the idea.
"I believe that we shouldn't have dominance for a long period of time of one party," she said. "We are at least a two-party system, and many of the issues that we're dealing with, and we'll get to some bigger ones like Social Security, Medicare, health care for all Americans … they have to be done in a bipartisan way."
Yeah, Pelosi is very interested in the viability of third parties in the US Government, as are all the Democrats & Republicans. I mean, why wouldn't the two dominant parties want third parties to gain power and possibly subvert the dominant paradigm in US politics?
As a side note, the linguistic ledgerdemain of saying we are "at least a two-party system" and then talking about bipartisan solutions is lovely. Well done!
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010