But not quite. Gold is a heavier metal than lead.
The water became as acidic as lemon juice, creating a toxic brew of heavy metal poisons including arsenic, lead, and zinc. No fish live there, and no plants line the shores. There aren’t even any insects buzzing about. The Berkeley Pit had become one of the deadliest places on earth, too toxic even for microorganisms. Or so it was thought.
Shortly after waking up this morning I intended to blog about the discovery of bacteria on the moon that had survived from the Apollo landings. Now google tells me there's no such thing, so I guess it was a dream.
Nonetheless, the life that survives in the Berkeley mining pit is plenty tough.