A bacteriophage is a specialized type of virus that infects bacteria. It's more or less a wonderfully simple machine that delivers viral genetic material into bacterial cells for the sole purpose of converting the bacteria into a production factory for more bacteriophages. Here is an electron micrograph showing a typical T-Even phage:
Earlier today Intel sort of announced the development of the worlds fastest chip, crafted completely from silicon. There's all kinds of technical specs listed that probably impress someone, but I couldn't help but wonder if the shape was intentional or completely accidental.
I'm sure George de Mestral would be impressed.
Last 5 posts by Mike
- "And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not filmed." - December 30th, 2008
- The Revolution Will Be Facebooked - December 26th, 2008
- Confessions of a Closet WoW Addict - October 16th, 2008
- On the nature of accidents... - September 28th, 2008
- Cure for Pain - September 24th, 2008