A very simple list of people who got into Valhalla.
It's very easy, esspecially for those who don't serve, to glamorize and fetishize war. And this is esspecially so for WWII, since about a billion games have been made doing so. Each entry usually has their actual citation listed, and all the stories are compelling. But in particular, I would like to refer to Sgt. Thomas Baker, with a citation straight out of a movie:
Another comrade, withdrawing, offered assistance. Sgt. Baker refused, insisting that he be left alone and be given a soldier's pistol with its remaining 8 rounds of ammunition. When last seen alive, Sgt. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sgt. Baker's body was found in the same position, gun empty, with 8 Japanese lying dead before him. His deeds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army.
Last 5 posts by Derrick
- POPEHAT 2016 POST-ELECTION GUIDE - November 9th, 2016
- POPEHAT 2016 ELECTION DAY GUIDE - November 8th, 2016
- Ask PopeHat! 11/4/2016 - November 4th, 2016
- Whether in a car or on a horse / We don't mind using excessive force - April 23rd, 2013
- No Shit - March 28th, 2013