Or, more accurately, your gender.
When you send me a resume, if your name is gender neutral, or if it is from another culture and its gender association is not familiar to hopelessly insular white guys like me, and if you have not had the courtesy to major in Womyn's Studies or play college football to clue me in, kindly throw me a hint, would you? It's not so that I can exclude you based on your gender. That's what interviews are for.* It's so I don't go into a lengthy paroxysm of social insecurity and self-doubt when I try to send you an email asking for a writing sample. Mr.? Ms.? It would be hideous to choose the wrong one. Gaaaaah. I might just send the offer to Betty Sue or Reginald instead. And yet Betty Sue and Reginald might suck, compared to you.
*Our Title VII expert insists that I specify this is a joke. He's standing right behind me now, trembling.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Scam, Chapter 15: The Wheels, They Grind - August 10th, 2017