One of the charming things about my Island home is our almost mormon-esque drive for self sufficiency. Our city owns it's own utility (which competes and routinely beats PG&E) our own hospital (which is not doing so well) and our own cable & internet company (actually a subset of the utility.) I'm a sucker for this sort of thing, and I was a proud day one convert to using Alamedanet instead of comcast or some other awful megacorp. It felt just socialist enough to make me feel good about myself.
Alas, it appears that the cable & internet side of things is not nearly as successful as the utility side. Competingwith PG&E is a lot easier than competing with Satellite and Comcast, both of which have focused energies (and money) on breaking our little telecom. Comcast has come to my door and offered me sweetheart deals just to change providers.
And now, it will all end, not with a bang but a whimper. Alamedanet will get bought out by some megacorp (my guess is Astound, but Comcast can't be ruled out, since they dominate the Bay Area) and I will remain a slave to my high speed internet and HDtv, unwilling to really fight the power.
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010