San Francisco is considering putting down 2×2 bronze plaques to commemorate the deaths of homeless people on the streets. The plaques would be a small body outline with the name and cause of death. The Board of Supervisors unanimously voted for the project, but now no one remembers the discussion. I think they are still somewhat chastened by the huge amount of money they are paying to add a wheelchair ramp to the historic council chambers.
Now, I actually think this is sort of a nice idea, to highlight the hidden tragedies of life on the streets, and to demonstrate just how dangerous homeless life is. However, I think I would prefer to see this money spent on actual services for the homeless (and not Gavin Newsom go away icky dirty people services…)
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010