I think that was the best Super Bowl I've watched. Other than my mother-in-law shrieking herself hoarse and frightening the children, it was great. Good food, good beer, good company, fun game down to the wire.
I liked a number of the commercials, particularly the Doritos mousetrap one and the Godfather tribute. But I've got to agree with Haggis on that fucking obnoxious Salesgenie commercial. Seriously, pandas with thick no-tickee-no-shirtee accents? Should we expect a black guy with a fried chicken shop next? What the fuck? I'm really tired of pandas being turned into the dog whistle for here-come-the-funny-"Orientals" schticks. And who the hell buys leads from an internet company anyway? Does anyone really think it won't end up like a deleted scene from Glegarry Glenn Ross?
Edited to add: Via the frequently entertaining and informative Angry Asian Man, I see that the obnoxiousness is probably deliberate. Salesgenie founder Vin Gupta talked about once again making the worst ads of the Super Bowl for the buzz it generates. Thanks, Vin, for reminding us that ethnic minorities are just as capable of being complete douches on racial issues.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Scam, Chapter 15: The Wheels, They Grind - August 10th, 2017
- We Interrupt This Grand Jury Lawsplainer For A Search Warrant Lawsplainer - August 9th, 2017