Time for a new feature at Popehat: the Book of the Week. Each Thursday one of us will link to a book that we recommend, or one that we've heard of that we want to read.
Today I offer one that just arrived on my desk courtesy of Amazon: This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War
I ordered it after reading about it several places. It's not merely the latest in thousands of works about the history of that terrible conflict. What makes it interesting is its analysis of how the extraordinary and unprecedented death toll of the Civil War changed America socially in multiple ways. I'll report back after I finish.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017