There are many places where Ron Paul's fifth-place finish in Iowa will be met with wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rent garments. Aside from fetid basements, LAN centers, and the occasional Buddhist-symbol-flag-draped meeting hall, one of these places apparently exists only in the realm of zeros, ones, and the minds of gamers.
Ron Paul has a huge World of Warcraft showing.
After the blimp thing, this should hardly be a surprise, should it? Although to remain thematically consistent, shouldn't they congregate not on the servers of the most popular establishment MMORPG, but on a distant and unpopular also-ran, like Star Wars: Galaxies? Anyway, Ron Paul is just the Tauren's tusks these days, apparently. He's got a legion of namesakes, many of them high level (meaning someone bunny-hopped about the landscape for weeks of gaming time with "Ronpaul" floating over their head.) Plus, there was a recent in-game rally with an elaborate plan requiring people to log in, create a new character, file across the landscape like a shot from an extremely geeky Bergman movie, and eventually congregate at the Orc capital city — including Alliance characters, who were quick fodder for Orc guards. Can something be too painfully obvious to be a metaphor?
No word on whether they got Blizzard to re-brand the in-game zepplins.
Hat Tip: Andrew Sullivan
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017