Britney Spears Hospitalized After Standoff.OK, maybe I'm a little surprised it doesn't say "armed" or "naked" or "drug-fueled", or possibly "bizarre."
Honestly, I'm torn among car-crash-rubbernecking, modern-celebrity-schadenfreude, and pity. The girl is messed up. I can't muster sympathy for her being rich and famous. I can't even muster much for her spending a late adolescence in that debilitating whirl of stupid that is modern celebrity, because lots of kids endure vastly worse. So what do I feel sympathy about? I don't think she has anybody. She seems to have mercenary friends and hangers-on, exes, a deranged and starstruck family, and a series of loser flavor-of-the-week boyfriends. Plus toddlers. Toddlers are nice, but well-adjusted people don't look to them for emotional support.
Britney needs a friend. A friend is someone who forgives you for your shit but calls you on it. A friend would have done an intervention on her a year or more ago, and dragged her skanky bowl-circling ass into rehab and isolation until she pulled it together. A friend wouldn't care that these measures might cost the friendship and hence access to bright lights and white lines. I don't think Britney has such a person.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017