To answer my own question, the Ron Paul Blimp is apparently for real. Or perhaps "for real" is the better way to say it.
Anyway, Paulians raised enough money to send the beast up up over North Carolina today. The blimp went up in a ceremony witnessed by literally dozens of people, one of whom for some reason was on horseback in what appears to be a Civil War uniform. Since Dr. Paul wants to roll us back to prior to the incorporation doctrine, I presume is is theme-related.
Photo courtesy of Ron Paul 2008.
I'm not sure what's up about the backwards "LOVE" in the Ron Paul Revolution sign either. Is Dr. Paul the candidate of love? Did he have to win that title, perhaps by defeating Christopher Dodd and Dennis Kucinich in a sonnet-writing contest?
Anyway, the blimp is achieving its goal — it is getting some media attention. Though just perhaps thetone is not as awestruck as they were hoping for:
RALEIGH – No, you're not imagining things. That really is a Ron Paul for President blimp flying over the City of Raleigh today.
"Take heart, Gentle Reader, the world is indeed exactly as absurd as you had always hoped."
Patrick, this flight was in your neck of the woods. Did you see the blimp?
Also, since something about Dr. Paul reminds me of another quixotic candidate, I have to ask you all this: what kind of vehicle would Ross Perot (he even has the same initials!) have used?
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017