So, today as I was reading through this post, I discovered a lengthy anti-Bush comment preceded by the following taunt:
I don't think you have the b***s to allow this post to the blog. Let's see.
Well, guess what? The comment was published… But I've taken it down. Not because of what the comment said — it wasn't particularly intelligent — but because comments that imply that we (a) censor comments based on ideology and/or (b) don't have enough confidence in our positions to handle opposing views are immediately nixed regardless of what they say.
Why? Because look around. Read the comment thread in any post. There is an abundance of opposing views present in the comment threads, and I am beyond insulted at any insinuation that comments are screened or censored by ideology. I'm sick of it. And I'm sick of people who pretend like the only way they can get their comments published is with these phony challenges. Further, I'm not going to empower any pompous liberal commenter by giving him/her reason to believe that I've been shamed into letting their comment be published. Not a chance.
This precious combination of circularity, insecurity, and incoherence makes me feel all warm and toasty inside.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Hate Speech Debate on More Perfect Live - September 5th, 2017
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017