You know, lots of people come to me and say "Ken, can you explain, in great detail, your philosophy of links?"
Well, no. Mostly they are saying other stuff, but it's dull so I make them say other things in my head.
Anyway, since I'm starting this up from the ground up again, I wanted to say something about my/our choices of links on the sidebar.
1. Linking to a site does not imply endorsement of the site's content. In a perfect world I wouldn't have to explain this. But some people are into the whole ideological purity thing. Look, I link sites because they are intentionally funny, insightful, informative, or congruent with my views. But I also link to sites that are unintentionally funny, or out of a know-thy-enemy sensibility. I do not look under my bed for brown people before going to sleep every night, and yet I link to Michelle Malkin and Little Green Footballs. That's because they are framers of opinion to some segments of the far right, because in my opinion they represent the dangers of a particular political segment, and because occasionally they get something right. If I didn't link to them and read them occasionally, I wouldn't be able to appreciate Sadly, No's satire of them as much.
2. Yet I do not link to every prominent site. But that's not because they are thoughtcriminals. It's because I find them irritating and/or banal. Take Powerline for example. Powerline is no more nutjob-right than a number of the sites I will be linking to, but something about their narrative voice just hits me like nails on the chalkboard. I hate going there even to laugh at them. No link for you!
3. The links are a work in progress, especially as of the date of this post. Chill out. We haven't set these in stone.
4. The site descriptions you get by mousing over the links are intentionally snarky and frivolous. Except for the ones written by Patrick, which are frivolous, snarky, and impenetrable.
5. Of course we are happy to get suggestions for links.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Popehat Goes To The Opera: Un ballo in maschera - August 19th, 2017
- Department of Justice Uses Search Warrant To Get Data On Visitors to Anti-Trump Site - August 14th, 2017
- America At The End of All Hypotheticals - August 14th, 2017
- Lawsplainer: Why John Oliver Is Anti-Diversity Now - August 11th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Scam, Chapter 15: The Wheels, They Grind - August 10th, 2017